Sorry for the lack of updates. I am in grad school now and not working on the car until the summer. I realized I forgot to post the results from my tuning session! The car did well, producing almost 400 awhp at 24 PSI running on E85…
There is potential to run more boost, but I have maximized the scaling on the MAF and MAP sensors. I also need to hard wire the fuel pump, as the stock relay cannot provide enough amperage to support the fuel pump at a higher boost level.
The following are default ROM images from my version 8 ECU (A4TE002B). The NPS_DEFAULT.hex file is just the stock image, and the NPS_REVERSED.hex file has the neutral position switch reversed for different year transmissions that require opposite polarity (if you are mating the motor/ECU to a 05+ transmission).
In preparation for tomorrow’s tuning session, I installed some ID1000 injectors, which are suggested for E85:
I also used this opportunity to install a Forced Performance turbo oil feed. This will prevent oil starvation to the new turbo, which has an enlarged bearing and can make use of some extra lubrication. The install was relatively easy, I just needed to cut part of the green bracket protecting the injectors to give some more clearance for the AVCS banjo bolt adapter. It also made installing the new injectors easier.
The fuel pump I installed is a Walbro 400lph (E85 compatible). Note that this needed to be hard wired into the system. There is no plug-and-play connector that I am aware of.
I just took delivery of my custom turbo from Kamak dynamics:
– TD05 Big 16G
– billet compressor wheel
– 9 blade turbine wheel
– Enlarged thrust bearing
– Adjustable wastegate actuator and spring set
The package was extremely well put together. It included the turbo, balancing sheet, detailed specs, a huge selection of adjustment springs, and all the fittings and gaskets for the install. Also, a nice little sticker to show off 😉
Note: for the right hand side (the sensors) you must use individually shielded wire!
I went with option 1 because it is SIGNIFICANTLY easier. Pulling pins out of the harness is a royal pain. I wanted to save some time, so I purchased a pre-made wiring harness from IA Performance. With this kit, the install took me under 30 minutes to complete.
Addendum: The connectors of interest are the middle one on the ECU (smallest connector), the black bulkhead connector next to the battery, and the grey bulkhead connector next to the boost control solenoid.